Under the general supervision of the Human Resources Director, the Human Resources Generalist is responsible for a wide variety of Human Resources functions that support the department. The Human Resources Generalist will drive the design, development and implementation of innovative, creative, high-impact talent management and training and development processes and systems. This position will provide front-line support and expertise to the department, with duties that include (but are not limited to) full cycle recruitment, onboarding, retention, training and development, job-related career path goals, and compliance functions for the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Information provided below is a general description of responsibilities; it is not intended to provide an all-inclusive list of responsibilities and may change depending on the needs of CUSM.
Recruitment and Selection
- Manages the applicant flow process to include advertising open positions (internally and externally), presenting qualified candidates to hiring managers, and scheduling interviews.
- Coaches and guides hiring managers and search committees throughout the search and selection process.
- Collaborates with management and staff to understand roles, responsibilities, required skills and knowledge for all positions.
- Develops innovative job advertisements to attract talent via job postings, social media management, job boards, professional organizations, and in other position appropriate venues.
- Engages in activities to increase employment brand awareness and maintain presence at community events to increase diversity in applicant pools and ensure the equitable treatment of all applicants and employees.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on recruiting processes focused on equal opportunity and non-discrimination.
- Designs, plans and executes selection process (participates in interviews, conducts phone screenings/interviews, administer pre-employment tests as required).
- May be involved in conducting interviews.
- Collects and analyzes data to measure the effectiveness of recruiting practices.
- Participates in new employee orientation programming, and create a welcoming, inclusive environment for new hires to ensure a successful on-boarding experience.
- Oversees onboarding process, takes information, and creates content to educate employees on initiatives.
- Coordinates the new hire process from employment offer to start date placing special attention on ensuring the new hire is welcomed appropriately.
- Conducts Reference Checks.
- Conducts Licensure/Credential Checks.
- Ensures that transcripts are received and logged in a timely manner.
- Oversees heavy scheduling and calendar invites for recruiting, meetings, committees, events, etc.
- Keeps job descriptions current, reviews, analyzes, and determines FLSA status.
Training and Development
- Assesses training and development needs through surveys, interviews, focus groups, and communication.
- Creates, organizes, plans, and presents various forms of onboarding, orientation, and skills training for employees.
- Develops unique training programs to fulfill workers specific needs to maintain or improve job skills.
- Creates and/or acquires training procedure manuals, guides, and course materials.
- Presents training and development programs using various forms and formats.
- Maintains records of training and development activities, attendance, results of tests and assessments, and retraining requirements.
- Assesses training materials.
- Evaluates program effectiveness through assessments, surveys, and feedback.
- Maintains knowledge of the latest trends in training and development.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, employment law, and training and development.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Embraces an ‘ownership thinking’ approach to doing business and is able to perform under limited guidance and tight deadlines.
- Adapts to last-minute changes in schedules and priorities.
- Handles confidential information with sensitivity and discretion.
- Focuses on achieving company goals and embrace the company’s mission and vision statement and live according to our core values.
- Demonstrates emotionally intelligent leadership; supporting a climate of teamwork, accountability and collaboration with the team.
- Coordinates across stakeholders, providing timely and concise communications regarding status of services/projects and pending issues.
- Remains professionally and technically current on all regulatory and compliance related statues, trends, and developments relative to successful execution and performance of the function and position.
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment and make decisions in a fair, consistent impartial and unbiased manner.
- Maintains positive attitude and demonstrates the utmost in professionalism.
- Works well independently and as a member of a cohesive team.
- Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- The ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills able to build and maintain positive working relationships.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and HRIS applications and reporting.
- Experience with HR technology/systems related to performance management, applicant tracking, and learning management preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Excellent critical thinking, consultative and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent human relations and facilitation skills in order to effectively handle matters that require tact, discretion, influence, and diplomacy.
- Knowledgeable in Federal and State laws as they relate to HR/employment activities.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources or related field.
- SHRM-PHR or SPHR Certification or similar preferred.
- Recruiting: 2-3 years required .
- Training and Development: 2-3 years required.
- Experience with project management preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
General office environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to use hands to fingers, reach, climb stairs, walk, sit for long periods of time, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement
California University of Science and Medicine (CUSM) supports the principles of equal opportunity, inclusion and diversity in employment and education. The University seeks to ensure that no person will encounter discrimination in employment or education on the basis of age, skin color, ability status, biological sex, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, immigration status, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual identity, or Veteran's status. This policy is applicable to both the employment practices and administration of programs and activities within the University. It is the policy of the University that no person shall be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or in any way be subject to discrimination in any program or activity at the University. Further, CUSM is committed to being an antiracist institution that continuously works to end oppression in all forms. Therefore, CUSM actively maintains institutional structures and learning opportunities to prevent incidents of bias or discrimination, and to address them with individual and collective accountability should they occur.